For those of you who may not know, Miles for Smiles is an annual run-athon that benefits Texas A&M College of Dentistry’s Social Services Fund, which provides low cost and quality dental care to eligible DFW residents.
This year, Miles for Smiles is being held on Saturday, November 3rd, 2018, in Exall Park. This is incredibly close to Texas A&M College of Dentistry’s campus, and is located near downtown Dallas.
There are a few ‘ground rules’ to follow, and some information that will help you in raising the necessary funds.
1. This year’s required amount of money that must be raised in donations by each PDA member is $100 in order to be considered a ‘Miles for Smiles Committee member’. If you are unable to raise the $100, any donation amount is greatly and sincerely appreciated, but you will not be considered a ‘Committee member’.
2. In order for your contributions to be counted as raised under your name, you MUST fill out the information on this form each time you get a donation:
This can be raised in a variety of different ways.
1. Through direct contributions from local businesses. This can include local dentists, or even stores like Walmart, CVS, Tiff’s Treats, ect. Any business, or even family/friend member that is interested in donating, counts! This is the best method to finding sponsors and making an immediate impact.
The information for payments through ‘direct contribution’ can be found here: https://milesforsmiles.dentistry.tamhsc.edu/direct-contrib…/
2. Through raffle items. In the past, this has included gift cards from local businesses, a Kendra Scott necklace, and more! Any item that a business is willing to donate, counts. Be sure to include the value of the item in the form.
3. Through food/drink/shirts/ect. for the day of the run-athon. In the past, sports drinks, popsicles, and snacks have been donated. This is a good option to ask of local restaurants and/or large grocery stores.
The main point of contact for UTD’s Miles for Smiles Committee is Nadia Najafi, so any questions that you have may be answered by emailing her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Start EARLY. The earlier you start, the more different locations you can ask to donate from, and the more likely that it will be a business that hasn’t already been bombarded by UTD PDA members. Additionally, the amount donated will be listed by your name in the Miles for Smiles Committee list.
2. Be CREATIVE. Aside from local dental offices, oftentimes many medical offices, coffee shops, restaurants, and more are incredibly happy to donate. Try to expand and you’ll have a great turn-out for contributions!
3. BE SURE TO FILL OUT THE FORM EACH TIME YOU GET A CONTRIBUTION IN ANY FORM. This form should be filled out for direct contributions, raffle items, AND food/drinks/shirts/ect. donated for the event. This helps me keep track of who has raised what, and how to credit you guys when I send the list to Texas A&M College of Dentistry’s social services fund.
4. Research and educate yourself about what the event is. There is no better way to lose a potential donor than by not knowing what you’re even trying to raise money for. Here is the Miles for Smiles website: https://milesforsmiles.dentistry.tamhsc.edu/
5. If you need help sending an email to a sponsor, click here to see our sample. You are more than welcome to use this, just be sure to revise it before sending it out.
If you want to see a list of past sponsors for an idea of who to approach, click here.
****Please check the 2018 Sponsor above before visiting any potential sponsor to avoid repeat visits to the same places
For any questions, email Nadia Najafi at email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you guys!